Home' Navy News : March 28th 2013 Contents 02
March 28, 2013
David Edlington: (02) 6265 4650
Sharon Palmer: (02) 6266 7612
Lauren Norton: (02) 6266 7615
Michael Weaver: (02) 6266 7707
Michael Brooke: (02) 8335 5231
LSIS Paul Berry: (02) 6266 7606
WO2 Andrew Hetherington: (02) 6266 7614
CPL Max Bree: (02) 6266 7608
CPL Nick Wiseman: (02) 6265 4140
CPL Mark Doran: (02) 6265 1304
CPL Aaron Curran: (02) 6265 1355
Fax: (02) 6266 7701
Mail: The Editor, R8-LG-038, PO Box 7909,
Department of Defence, ACT 2600
ADVERTISING and SUBSCRIPTIONS
Tim Asher: 0459 842 551
Assistant Manager advertising/
Trish Dillon: (02) 6266 7607
Navy News is published fortnightly by the Directorate of Defence
News, Department of Defence. Printed by Horton Media Australia
Ltd. The publisher reserves the right to refuse advertising if it is
deemed inappropriate and to change the size of the ad, print
type or other specifications if material is not compatible with our
system. The fact an ad is accepted for publication does not mean
that the product or service has the endorsement of Defence or
SERVING AUSTRALIA WITHPRIDE
IN THE 12 months since the incep-
tion of the Pathway to Change:
Evolving Defence Culture initiative,
the organisation has made tangible
and measurable progress arising from
the suite of cultural reviews, accord-
ing to CDF GEN David Hurley.
“Our actions to date support the
senior Defence leadership’s goal for a
more diverse, inclusive and equitable
ADF,” GEN Hurley said.
Of the 160 recommendations
put forward in the Defence culture
reviews, 48 have been closed out and
another 110 are under way.
Measures to address the issues
include the establishment of the Sexual
Misconduct Prevention and Response
Office (SeMPRO), which will be offi-
cially launched in July. SeMPRO and
the introduction of restricted reporting
later this year will mark an important
shift toward a victim-focused approach.
In other developments, serving
female ADF members now have the
opportunity to work in all positions
in the ADF with the exception of
Special Forces, which will be opened
to women in 2014.
GEN Hurley said selection would
be based on a candidate’s ability to
do the job, not their gender, and there
HMAS Newcastle achieved the milestone of unit read-
iness while conducting collective training with other
ADF assets including HMAS Sheean and combat
aircraft from RAAF and this week achieved mission
Sea Training Group mentors assessed Newcastle as
unit ready in all areas during a four-week exercise in
the Eastern Australian Exercise Area that culminated
on March 1 with a challenging evaluation period.
Newcastle achieved unit readiness after a series of
training exercises and serials with HMA Ships Sydney,
Tobruk, Sirius, Sheean and Diamantina, and 816SQN
Seahawks and F/A-18 Hornet fighters. Newcastle
was also the first RAN ship to replenish with ESPS
Cantabria during her 2013 Australian deployment.
CO Newcastle CMDR Paul O’Grady said his ship’s
company had worked hard to meet all the competencies.
“It has been a challenging period completing both
sea qualification trials and unit readiness training in a
compressed timeframe,” he said.
“The determined, learning approach by the ship’s
company has been very effective and is a credit to them,
as is their focused team approach to all activities.”
Newcastle is on track to achieve all its work-up
milestones, and achieved mission readiness last week,
while operating with Cantabria and HMNZ Ships Te
Mana and Endeavour, before she deploys next month.
Since completing unit readiness, Newcastle’s crew
has conducted a force protection exercise at Fleet Base
East where it demonstrated its ability to manage a num-
ber of threats to security while alongside.
A feature of Newcastle’s work-up has been the
ability of other ADF units to leverage off the joint
collective training opportunities of each other, and to
progress or maintain their own combat skills.
• Of the 160 recommendations put
forward, 48 have been closed off
and another 110 are under way.
• Equity and diversity training
programs at ADFA have been
strengthened and the number of
equity advisers on campus has
been doubled to 40.
• The Sexual Misconduct Preven-
tion Response Office will be
officially launched in July. It will
respond to incidences of sexual
misconduct and provide educa-
tion about the prevention of
sexual misconduct and assault.
• A further 20 recommendations
from the Broderick Review
Phase Two that aim to enhance
diversity have also commenced.
Four are complete and a further
16 recommendations remain on
track for completion by August.
On the right path for change Interim report tabled as
taskforce gets extension
would be no reductions to any stand-
ards associated with this change.
He said the first anniversary of the
release of Pathway to Change was
also a timely opportunity to remind
people of the mechanisms available to
respond to complaints or allegations
of inappropriate behaviour.
“I encourage you to report the
matter to your chain of command
as soon as practical so that it can be
addressed in a timely and appropriate
manner. However, if you feel you are
unable to report the matter in your
immediate work environment, there
are a number of other reporting mech-
anisms available to you,” he said.
GEN Hurley recognised that cul-
tural change took time, but the organ-
isation was on a positive track.
“Everyone at every level has an
active role to play in living the Defence
values to ensure that the ADF meets
its cultural intent to be ‘trusted to
defend, proven to deliver and respectful
always’,” he said.
The CDF’s full statement on the Pathway
to Change anniversary is at http://intranet.
Newcastle fit and ready
FILL HER UP: SPS Cantabria conducts a replenishment at sea with HMAS Newcastle in the East Australian Exercise Area.
THE Government has extended the
duration of the Defence Abuse
Response Taskforce from December
this year to May 2014 to allow com-
pletion of its scope of work.
Defence Minister Stephen Smith
said the number of cases before the
taskforce was building steadily.
In addition to more than 1000 cases
reported to the DLA Piper Review into
allegations of sexual and other forms
of abuse in Defence, the Government
hotline has been receiving about 15
new matters a week.
“Advice from the Taskforce Chair
is that he considers an extension of
this deadline is necessary as there is no
realistic prospect the work required by
the Terms of Reference could be com-
pleted within the present 12-month
timeframe,” Mr Smith said.
The Minister tabled the taskforce’s
first interim report in Parliament on
The 31-page report provides an
update on progress made in establishing
the taskforce. The taskforce is now pre-
paring to transition into its operational
phase, in which the assessment of allega-
tions and complaints will be considered.
Mr Smith announced that the cut-off
for allegations of abuse that occurred
before April 11, 2011, would be May
31 this year. “This will ensure that peo-
ple who have experienced abuse prior
to April 11, 2011, but who have not yet
brought their case forward, have the
time to consider doing so,” he said.
He also said Government had
approved the Defence Abuse
Reparation Payment Scheme, in which
individuals could receive up to $50,000.
Taskforce members will liaise with
those who have made allegations of
abuse to determine the most appropri-
The Minister will be looking at fur-
ther avenues for parliamentary over-
sight of the management of allega-
tions of abuse in Defence, and imple-
mentation of cultural change meas-
ures including the first annual report
on Defence’s implementation of the
cultural reform program, Pathway to
Change, in June this year.
The taskforce’s first interim report is avail-
able at http://www.minister.defence.gov.
Links Archive March 14th 2013 April 11th 2013 Navigation Previous Page Next Page